Monday, December 14, 2009

Picture of the Week #55 "Pieta"


Picture of the Week #55 "Pieta" Vatican City, Italy 2009 Signed and Stamped
It is impossible to go to Rome and the Vatican and not see the ever powerful St. Peters Basilica for the umteenth time. After my Audience with Pope Benedict in the Sistine Chapel on Saturday, (See Picture of the Week #51, #52 & #53) I returned to drop off a present for His Holiness the following Monday. Only, the office was closed. How could I not see another of Michaelangelo's remarkable work, the "Pieta" when I was so close. This time I thought I had to enter St. Peter's like all the other tourists on a very long line. Luckily I had my Vatican Pass from my invited tour with me. I placed it around my neck and was quickly ushered in where I immediately began taking pictures. Even with the light very low, I was able to see the emotionally breathtaking "Pieta". The next day I left Pope Benedict my present of two photographs. It was gratefully accepted by the Pontifical Council for Culture for the Vatican. Now I can say I am in the permanent Collection of the Vatican.

No comments: