Sunday, December 4, 2011

Picture of the Week #158 "My God Is Not Money"

Picture of the Week #158 "My God Is Not Money" New York City 1972 & Los Angeles 1984 Signed and Stamped

When I was producing and directing music videos back in New York in 1972, I was doing one for a group called Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show. The song was called "Carry Me" and was about alcoholism. Not knowing how to portray that as a music video I went down to the Bowery on the lower East Side and photographed the homeless who roamed the street. Years later in Los Angeles I came across a brick wall with "My God Is Not Money" sprayed across it. Around that time I was working on life size cut outs as an art form. I had done cut outs of everyone from the Reagans to Sylvester Stallone and even Humphrey Bogart & Clark Gable. I branched out from celebrities to Matadors, Frenchmen playing Boule in the South of France and the homeless. I made a maquette of an installation that I wanted to place in a gallery. I blew up the image of the brick wall and placed the maquette in front of the wall. I took this picture and then I dropped the color and enhanced the black & white. This is the result.

No comments: