Sunday, December 9, 2012


Picture of the Week #211 "Palio Patrol" Siena, Italy 1989 Signed and Stamped

When I spent the summer alone two years before I met my beautiful wife, I went to Siena Italy with nothing on my agenda but just go take some pictures and grab lunch. When I entered the parking area I noticed how packed it seemed. I luckily found a spot and walked in to the walled town. Suddenly I heard the most incredible chants coming from what seemed like hundreds of voices. As I walked past a confectionary store I saw all the way through the shop to the balcony over looking the town square and down below there were thousands of people. It was moments before the famed Palio horse race was about to begin. As I was wearing a camera over my shoulder the woman who owned the shop smiled to me as if to acknowledge that she thought I was a photojournalist and allowed me to join her on the balcony. In a short time a gun went off and the horses charged around the dirt covered Campo. Immediately after the race ended the dirt was swept aside and tables were placed and the town began to party. I was so lucky to arbitrarily pick that day of all days to visit Siena. I can cross that unexpected visit off my bucket list. Unforgettable.

No comments: