Sunday, May 31, 2015


Picture of the Week #340 "Helmut Newton" Los Angeles, California 2005

Here is my simple & direct portrait of Helmut Newton, the iconic photographer whom I had the pleasure of knowing as both of us had summer homes just outside of St. Tropez. We had dinner together two weeks before his tragic death at the Chateau Marmont here in Los Angeles. This is where he spent his time while in Los Angeles. His home away from home. He had been forced out of his apartment in Paris when French taxes were overwhelming and so he moved to Monte Carlo. I know he loved it here, and had many friends, but I couldn't understand why he didn't want to live here. Helmut had an incredible sense of humor and a sharp wit that I so enjoyed. He is truly missed, but his imagery lives on. He was an original. 

No comments: