Monday, April 6, 2009

Picture of the Week #19 "Roy Lichtenstein Pop Legend"

Picture of the Week #19 "Roy Lichtenstein Pop Legend" Venice, California 1978 I was fortunate to know Roy, one of the nicest, most down to earth greats of the art world. The picture of Roy was taken when I attended his vernisage at the old ACE gallery in Venice California. The POP image behind him was actually taken years later at the Petersen Automotive Museum. I do not know if it is an authentic Lichtenstein, but it certainly looked like one. I put the two together as I loved the contrast between his serious expression and that of the cartooned image behind him. I remember picking him up for lunch when he was painting a mural on the wall of the old Creative Artist Agency lobby in Beverly Hills. He asked if I wanted to fill in one of his dots. Instantly I began to take my jacket off and he gave me that wry smile and said, no let's eat, I'm hungry. I never did get to contribute to that mural, but he and I stayed in touch until his untimely passing. A great loss to the art world.

No comments: