Monday, March 30, 2009

Picture of the Week #18 "Checking Details in the Hong Kong Museum"

Picture of the Week #18 "Checking Details in the Hong Kong Museum" Hong Kong, China 2006 I was in Hong Kong to attend the sale of one my Chinese paintings at the Christies auction. When not hyping the sale I was checking out what the local artists were up to. I came in to this room at the Museum that was completed covered with what I thought was a simple geometric pattern. Upon closer inspection I was to see that they were words written in circles. But, not just words but vulgar expressions and curse words. "Coc*#@cker and Mot@e^fu*@+r" were integrated into the pattern. I know something about art but for the life of me I don't understand why crass vulgarity is used when it is not to shock or to relate a story but to be a part of a decorative pattern. This couple were obviously mesmerized by reading what the artist had to say. I wasn't. After a brief perusal I was off. 

No comments: