Sunday, March 14, 2010

Picture of the Week #68 "Buddies"

Picture of the Week #68 "Buddies" New York City, NY 1972 Signed and Stamped

While producing and directing a series of Music Videos for Clive Davis and Columbia Records back in 1972, I was faced with a challenge when I was to portray alcoholism for a song titled "Carry Me" sung by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. I hid a camera under an old Army coat and ran a cable release to my pocket and went down to the Bowery where I thought I would secretly be able to grab some photos that I would later animate. I was immediately caught by the guy in the hat who declared "give me a quarter!" I did. Then he said to give his Buddy a quarter. I did. They became my guides and introduced me to other unfortunates that laid in the door ways and on the street. That day resulted in my giving out $30 bucks but gave me one the most memorable photographic series I have ever been able to accomplish. I have shown and sold these powerful images in galleries ever since.

No comments: