Sunday, April 24, 2011

Picture of the Week #126 "In Her Easter Bonnet"

Picture of the Week #126 "In Her Easter Bonnet" Venice, Italy 2011 Signed and Stamped

Last week a dear friend and top private art dealer, Eliane Gans, came over to see what I was working on. When she saw a book I made of 309 photographs of the costumed participants of this years Venice Carnivale masquerade, she remarked that the fabrics of the costumes were extraordinary and that I should encompass them somehow into the photos. Eliane is an abstractionist while I'm the realist, but I thought about what she had to say and figured I would try a few images and see how I feel. I took a small portion of the colorful costume and blew it up and created the background then dropped the full figure over it. I was pleasantly surprised. They became more interesting pictures than those silhouetted against white. I am on to something.

No comments: