Sunday, September 9, 2012


Picture of the Week #198 "Portuguese Fish Mongers" Lisbon, Portugal 1965 Signed and Stamped

Some people might recognize this image as I had made a painting from this photograph when I first began working from photographs back in 1973. I had always had an affection for this picture. A dear friend who happens to be psychologist looked at the painting and thought that they were my family.   It's bizarre as my family were from Russia and these are Portuguese, but he was right there is a resemblance. The woman on the left resembled my Aunt Rose, the woman in the middle my Aunt Mildred, then my mother in the back and grandmother on the end. And the man whose face is obscured by the shadow is my father who I never knew. Maybe that is why they say you always put something of yourself into your work.

No comments: