Monday, January 12, 2009

Picture of the week # 7 "Mad Man"

Picture of the Week #7 - January 12, 2009 "Mad Man" This craggy faced old man was originally photographed in 1972 as part of a Music Video that I was producing and directing for the rock group Dr. Hook and the Medicine show. The song was titled "Carry Me" and dealt with alcoholism. Not sure how to portray alcoholics I went down to the bowery in New York and secretly hid a camera inside my coat with a long cable release in to my pocket. I was naively hoping to take pictures without anyone seeing me. I was wrong. I was immediately spotted by another poor soul who asked me for a quarter to take his picture. I obliged. In no time he became my guide and I spent $30 that day photographing many down trodden homeless living in doorways and cardboard cartons. This particular image is from that series which in 2003 I exhibited in Black and White and titled "Holy Men - Medicine Men - Mad Men"  at the Le Deux Cafe's Gallery in Hollywood to overwhelming critical praise. An editor from Vanity Fair said and I quote: "Stephen Verona's work recalls the greatness of Steichen and Weegee with all of the passion of Dorothea Lange and Walker Evans. A must see". It doesn't get much better than that. So, I put down my paint brush and focused entirely on photography. 

No comments: