Monday, September 28, 2009

Picture of the Week #44 "Card Players of Shanghai"

Picture of the Week #44 "Card Players of Shanghai" Shanghai, China 1980 Signed and Stamped. While scouting locations and working on the budget for what would have been the first American - Chinese co-production that I was to direct, I encountered all these men dressed in Mao outfits playing cards on the streets of Shanghai. Chairman Mao had only been gone for four years and the remnants of his regime still lingered. Sadly the movie "The Footprints of the Pheasant in the Snow" which I was hoping to star Ingrid Bergman never was filmed as she had become ill and backed out. The money quickly followed. I remained as a guest of the Shanghai Arts Council where I continued to photograph and draw. When I returned to America I painted many paintings using those photos and drawings as my inspiration.

No comments: