Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cardinal Mahony Holding My Book

What a kick. Cardinal Mahony holding my book "The Making of the Lords of Flatbush"

Cardinal Mahony and I met today in his Los Angeles office where I told him of my experience of being invited to the Vatican as one of 220 selected artists from all over the world. And what an honor it was to hear Pope Benedict's "Address to Artists" in the Sistine Chapel. He knew that this was the first time since the Renaissance that a Pontiff hosted artists in the Chapel. The historic event got very little press here in America and the Cardinal is hoping to help change that. I informed him that I am putting together a photographic installation in a top gallery where I will have a 16 foot high photo of the Pope sitting in front of "The Last Judgement" with Life Size Cut Outs of the Swiss Guards and the Clergy. He agreed to pose for one of the Cut Outs and said he will come to the exhibition. He also invited me to photograph him in his Vestments either before or after a Sunday Service. I agreed. He went on to say how he knew my work and recognized me when I first walked in to his office. Needless to say I was blown away.

No comments: