Monday, February 8, 2010

Picture of the Week #63 "March of the Toreadors"

Picture of the Week #63 "March of the Toreadors" Madrid, Spain 1987 Signed and Stamped

I know it is not politically correct these days but I have always loved Bull fighting. I look at it as a rite. A ballet. A ritual. And the bull is sold immediately after in the arena's butcher shop. Yes, there are "bad kills". And as an animal lover I hate it when the horses are injured. But when I weigh the good with the bad and it is always a close race, I still love to see them. I have followed bull fighters from the dressing room to the chapel where they pray before each encounter. And then right down into the "Plaza de Toros". The spectacle, and even the dedication are extraordinary shows. And finally into an all tiled room where they hang the bull upside down and sell the freshly cut meat. It's the same as buying meat in a super market, only this time you witnessed the animal's demise. I know it sounds terrible, but I also believe there is an art to the event. Maybe one day I'll change my mind. But if I go back to Spain, I will still line up to see them. That is, if they still allow them.

No comments: