Monday, April 25, 2016



# 387 "Flying with Johnny Mathis" & Bonus "Johnny Mathis in the Field" 
Santa Ynez, California 1972 

Before there was a "Purple Rain" there was "Chances Are" and the man who brought that iconic song to our ears was none other than the "Wonderful Wonderful" Johnny Mathis. I was lucky enough to produce & direct two of his Music Videos, one in 1970 and the second in 1972. We flew by private plane courtesy of CBS/Columbia Records up to Santa Ynez just north of Santa Barbara to Johnny's sprawling ranch. We stayed as his guests while his father Clem made us incredible chili. It's strange how my memory forgets things that happened yesterday but not something from 46 years ago. Johnny is still singing but we lost touch. One of my most vivid memories was when he was driving me down Sunset Boulevard in his convertible Rolls Royce when he started to sing "Chances Are", one of my most favorite songs of all time. A nicer or more humble man is hard to find. 

No comments: