Monday, December 28, 2015


Picture of the Week #370 "Soccer in Marken" Marken, The Netherlands 1966 Signed & Stamped

When I was directing TV commercials back in the 60's I was in Amsterdam Holland meeting with Joop Geesink who had created a small theme park called "Dollywood". He made puppets for film and TV that were used for stop motion animated photography as well as having this park. This was PRE Disneyland. He was a legend in motion picture production. When I had some time off I went to visit the picturesque town of Volendam and then a ferry out to the island of Marken. Once there I encountered these boys in the school yard playing soccer. As I was always taking pictures, I grabbed this one. It was fortuitous that the figures fell in between the bars of the school yard. Even though this image is almost 50 years old I believe it still holds up today.

No comments: