Saturday, July 31, 2010

Picture of the Week #88 "Anticipating The Moment"

Picture of the Week #88 "Anticipating The Moment" Madrid, Spain 1987 Signed and Stamped

I read that Bullfighting is being outlawed in the Catalonia section of Spain. I couldn't help but think that when I photographed the spectacle as Hemingway so aptly titled it, "Death in the Afternoon", that the title I had used for this image, "Anticipating the Moment" would one day come true. When I titled this moment it was more descriptive of what was to come. Like an actor about to go on stage. Or a fighter into a ring. Little did I realize that it would also signify the dimming of the lights of a centuries old tradition. A rite, a ritual, a national pastime. Many arguments have been leveled at the sport, but I for one used to defend it. I remember documenting the confrontations from the Chapel where the Matador would pray, to the spectacle of the procession. To the moment of truth. And finally to the butcher shop where the fresh meat would be sold or given to charity. On the other hand there were times and moments that I did find barbaric. The Picadors always angered me. It was like having someone else punch the hell out of your opponent before you stood toe to toe with them. But the actual mano e mano of man against bull to me was as much a spiritual confrontation as a physical one. It was a dance where certain choreographed moves must be performed before the fatal plunge of the sword can be dealt. I don't know if the stoppage will spread across Spain or if it will be confined to Catalonia. I do know that I would go back to see it, perhaps with a different perspective.

No comments: